This is my story, similarity to any real person other than myself is purely coincidental. Please don't be an ass and copy/use this as your own. Some language and material may be unsuitable for people under the age of 18- reader discretion is advised.

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Life is fragile

Not that you need to read this nugget of wisdom here, but seriously, we as humans are fragile.  Things that are on a cellular level (no not your phone) can take you down or even out of the picture permanently in less than a minute.

Think of your circle of family and friends for a moment.  How many of them have been sick and not know what is wrong- only to find out it is a bacterial/viral infection that can ravage their body in no time flat?  How many of them have been effected by cancer?

I will never forget the call from my doctor to let me know I had cancer- just the minute before Cutie and Junior were fighting over who got to use the blue cup with dinner.  Its one of those benchmark events that become etched in your mind because time and everything else stops at that point.  Fast forward through the fear, resentment, frustration, biopsies, surgeries, recovery and you think that your nightmare of a life is going to eventually "get better" in more ways than one, because it has to- can't get much worse.  Strike that, it could be Cutie or Junior going through this- thank God the karma didn't get them because I would gladly go through the hell of cancer again than to have either of them experience it- ever.

Cancer is one of those things that even when its "gone" and you're "cured" it isn't "gone."  It has marred your memory, so a lingering migraine or being tired becomes a little more worrisome in that you hope it isn't cancer stopping by to say "hello, and hope you are ready for another adventure with me."  It sucks. 

When you hear someone else in your circle of family/friends has also received a similar call from their doctor needing more testing; your heart stops and aches for them and their family.  Not only because you care about them, but because you identify with (unfortunately) what they are going or about to go through.  Someone close to me has recently had to go through this, and I am literally more than a thousand miles away from them.  Feelings of helplessness, overwhelming fear and anxiety for them rush through me and I can't do a damn thing.  (I don't have a private jet- if I did, my life would be *way* different.)  Thankfully, their test came back negative, and for that I am extremely happy. :)

With that being said, I don't want any of my family/friends wondering if I am about to begin another adventure involving cancer- as of my last doctor visit, I'm cancer free.  So that's good.  Nothing snaps you back to reality faster than the reality of how fragile you and your family/friends really are.  Take the time to let them know you love them and care about them- even when they piss you off- because you never know what can happen in a minute.

Similarity to any real person other than myself is purely unfortunate for them coincidental, this is my story so please don’t be an ass and copy/use it as your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment