This is my story, similarity to any real person other than myself is purely coincidental. Please don't be an ass and copy/use this as your own. Some language and material may be unsuitable for people under the age of 18- reader discretion is advised.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Part 2 of 2

So, now for part 2…

Another one of my dad’s anecdotes: “mimicry is the height of flattery.” I prefer to think of it as; “I can’t think for myself, so I’m going to copy your idea.”

Now, that seems a bit harsh right?  Well, how soon you forget, I’m a nice person until you do something to cross me or my family and then bring it- you have unleashed the spider monkey  bitch inside of me and it is hard to put her back once she has emerged toward you.  Well, I shouldn’t say hard to put back, more like; she is dormant and waiting for you to piss me off so I can rip you to shreds.  Anyhow… what to do when a family member person related to you does this?

I’ll tell you- a stream of expletives that makes the most seasoned sailor turned construction worker blush like a church lady, give you high blood pressure, loss of respect, instant rage and the desire to cause you bodily harm.  Whoa, whoa, whoa!  What the hell happened?  I mean, I know that I’m living in Hell, and I know that people around me are causing my life to be Hell, but you’re a thousand-plus miles away and you’re making it worse- you’re fanning the flames to my Hell and dousing the flames with gas!

As you may know, (if you don’t read my bio here) I run a small business.  The business is nothing massive- not going to put any big name stores out of business any time soon- but enough to keep my head above water and the business operating in the black for now.  Another thing I picked up from my dad was independence- I like being my own boss; make my own hours, etc. So… back to the story here, enough back story…

My side of the family primarily lives a thousand-plus miles away.  I don’t get to see them even close to as often as I would like to, so for birthday/holiday/just because gifts to get to them, I have to send them to them.  No biggie- usually.  Well, this last package that was sent to them arrived with gifts for several people- 3 birthdays and a “just because” gift- which was actually a prototype for the recipient to try out and give me feedback.  The package arrived and was left in the nasty weather ruining the box, and the person (addressee/recipient) wasn’t going to be home for several days and had another family member (a gift for them was also in the package) pick it up so the contents weren’t ruined as well.  Again, not a big deal- usually.

A family member opened the box (wasn’t addressed to them) and doled out the gifts to the people but the addressee was the only person not around (and wouldn’t be for 3 days).  Starting to get annoyed, but I understand that’s how my family is and just grin and bear it.  Fast forward to two days after the package arrives, and one of the recipients asks me where I got it.  Tell them, I made it- which they knew already; it’s not a secret what my business is and does to them and anyone that knows me.  They proceed to ask me specific directions about how to make one (the gift)- kinda thinking; “what the hell?” at this point, but give them general directions.  Then for the sucker punch to the solar plexus- wants to know exactly how I made the prototype because they are going to sell them too!  Now, it is full on WTF?!??  They then proceed to tell me they are going to make the exact same thing as me and sell them around there.  WTF!??!  Are you kidding me?!?

I’m all for fair competition and understand that is how commerce works- but when it comes to family why would you even think it is okay to compete?  Bear in mind, my family has several businesses within it.  I would never even think to start up in one of those fields- but I could easily if I wanted to because they are unable to sell their product (homes and other construction trades) in the same state as me because it is a physical impossibility and I wouldn’t even dream opening up shop with the same product next door to them if we lived closer.  My business however, isn’t geographical specific like a home is- I can ship anywhere to anyone at anytime- if a polar bear wants what I sell- they pay for it and it will be on its merry way to them.  So, to me, this whole “mimicry is the height of flattery” is total bullshit- they are taking money out of my pocket and it isn’t even slightly acceptable. 

Oh, and the icing on the shit cake- this family member has a job of their own, and makes decent money and is married *and* has two incomes for their family- as if that wasn’t enough influx of green backs- they receive child support too.  Right now, I have only one income and it is the one from my business.  I feel that this person is a complete and total douche bag- that is the nicest thing I can post honestly- as I see it, this person is taking away from my kids and you never ever mess with my kids.   All of this right before Thanksgiving… so what do you have to be thankful for? 

I’m thankful that I don’t have to look at that person across the table tomorrow.

Similarity to any real person other than myself is purely unfortunate for them coincidental, this is my story so please don’t be an ass and copy/use it as your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment